Sunday, June 9, 2013

Conquering Low Self-Esteem

Earlier this week when I went to see the Great Gatsby (which was beyond awesome), I saw a movie preview in which a bad boy race car driver says "I'm terrible." The boy's love interest responded, "You're not terrible. You're just who you are at this point in your life."



This was the most profound quote I've heard in a movie preview in a very long time. The media bombards us with the ideas that we are terrible: that our bodies are terrible, our habits are terrible, are goals are terrible,  our economic status is terrible, etc. Self-esteem issues are all too present in our modern society. I commonly beat myself up for the things I've done wrong or things I haven't done. Sometimes I get weighed down with the thought "I'm terrible." 

Depression plagues many people in the world, and it's likely because they believe the lie: "I'm terrible." Life is about progressing and overcoming challenges. Every day we are given opportunities to learn and grow, and it is often quite easy to choose the behavior that does not lead to the most progression. But does that mean you are terrible? Of course not. 







I've come to the realization, as difficult as it may be to accept at times, that just because I'm imperfect doesn't mean that I don't have the potential to be perfect. Learning to love yourself is key to your ability to be happy. To love yourself, you must accept that you are not perfect, but you have room to improve. You may become discouraged with yourself, but it's just part of the learning process. It is important to recognize that it's okay to make mistakes as long as you become better because of them. 

Above all else, it is necessary to accept that you are not terrible; you are just who you are this point in your life. 

Just for kicks: 

No comments:

Post a Comment