Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How Jason Popped the Question



When you know, you know.

That's what people say, and many probably think it isn't true. But I can testify: when you know that they're the one, that's all that matters. Just go for it.

I've just been wishing upon a star for a while now that Jason would propose. I was really hoping he would do it sooner or later, and honestly I expected later. Whenever I asked him about it, he would say "October." I would protest and he would just say, "so....October?"



I was so excited about him proposing that I even made a spreadsheet of all the rings he could get me, and ranked them according to preference. Maybe I make his life too easy.

We planned for him to fly out here to DC this summer, when he could meet my family and ask my dad that certain question. For weeks before, Jason would grill me about the perfect time to ask my dad and how he should do it. He said he was really scared to ask. He was convinced that my dad would shoot him or something. I told him that he shouldn't worry (that much).

Finally, we were united on Monday night. I was blissfully happy. On Tuesday, I went to work in DC and Jason and my family toured around the city. They went to see the monuments, Capitol Hill, the Supreme Court, and the Smithsonians.

After work, I met up with Jason on the National Mall. Then, we went and had dinner at a classy Mexican restaurant. Afterwards, we went to my class on the other side of the city. We planned to tour more of the monuments after and have a romantic evening.



Class was great, but right in the middle, Jason turned to me and said, "It's POURING." And sure enough, it was. There was a torrential downpour and the wind had a very high intimidation factor.




So, after class ended, we just waited. Walking to the monuments would take about 25 minutes, so we thought it would be best to just wait out the rain. So we waited. And we waited. And we waited. Finally, after an hour, it was...still pouring.

"It's getting late babe. We should probably just run to the metro and go home," I said. I have to wake up to go to work at 5 in the morning, so I wasn't enthusiastic about getting home too late.

"But I really want to see the monuments! Maybe we should just take a cab," he protested.

"No, taking cabs is lame. Plus I'm tired and want to go home," I said.

"Have you ever even ridden in a cab before?" he asked.

"No."

Finally, we agreed that we would run about half a block to the drug store and buy umbrellas. We did so, and then walked the 25 minutes to the monuments. I was cold, wet, and tired, and so I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about going to the monuments. But Jason wanted to go, so I went.  By this time, it was very dark. The streets were practically vacant too, which made it basically a scene from a horror movie. But, against all odds, we finally made it to the Lincoln Monument. It was still raining.

We stood on the sidewalk and smiled up at the splendor of the monument. Jason walked out into the grass in front of the monument and said, "Let's catch fireflies!" There aren't fireflies in Utah where he's from, so the little bugs are a novelty to him.



"I'm not about to go tromping out in that yucky grass with my nice heels on!" I said. The grass was soaked and the ground was muddy. There was no way he was going to get me out there. I clutched my umbrella even tighter.

"C'mon babe! Fireflies!" He shouted.

I shook my head. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out into the lawn. "There's a bunch over here!" he said. Apparently fireflies quite enjoy the rain, because they were just having a party out there with Mr. Lincoln.

Then, over near some bushes, I saw something lighted up in the grass. I walked toward it.

"Help me catch fireflies!" Jason said.

I didn't say anything, I just walked toward the lights in the grass. He followed me. When I got closer, I saw that the tiny pink lights were in the shape of a heart. "Oh what's this?" asked Jason. I turned to him.





"I have something for you," he said as he fished through his backpack. And then he pulled out a grocery bag. I opened it to reveal an Arizona t-shirt. "Uh...thanks babe!" I said.

"I got it when I went to talk to your dad," he said. My dad works in Phoenix, AZ. The gears started turning in my head. But before I could reach a conclusion, Jason was kneeling there, in the rain, his knee in the mud, and he was holding a ring.

"Holly Harris, will you marry me?"

My heart pounded. "Well, of course. Yes!" We hugged and kissed and all that. I slipped the ring on my finger. "Is this my #1 choice from my spreadsheet?" I asked. He smiled, "It was my #1 choice too."

 And then I started bombarding him with questions.

"When did you...how did you...?" He answered all my questions, and then I concluded, "Well I guess we're engaged now."



Jason says I just walked around with my eyes really wide. I really was in shock. I had no idea that he would be proposing this soon. And it's hard to surprise me. I usually catch on to things very fast. But I didn't cry, I didn't scream and shout. I was just at peace about it. I was very happy, but at peace. That's a good sign, right?

Apparently, about 3 weeks ago, he flew to Phoenix to talk to my dad and ask for my hand. They went to dinner and discussed for several hours. Apparently I called Jason twice during that time. And then when he was on the plane. I had gone to bed upset that night because he was practically ignoring me. But I'm especially not sad about it anymore.

Jason says that he is so relieved because now he doesn't have to hide anything from me ever again. For weeks, both of my parents knew, and so did my brother and my best friend. Kudos to you guys for keeping it a secret!

Anyways, after that we walked around the monument and took pictures. I got to see my ring in its full glory. It's pretty incredible:




Afterwards, we tried to get a cab to take us back to the metro station. Jason said he couldn't walk anymore because he had such bad chafage. So, after about 20 minutes, a cab finally came. We got dropped off at the metro station, but we got dropped off at the wrong one. So we had to transfer. But because it was so late at night, the transfer train didn't come for another 20 minutes. At long last, we made it back to our destination metro station and started walking to the car.

Because it was so late at night, construction had begun on the parking garage I parked in. The entrances to the garage were fenced off. Jason and I found a break in the fence and we decided we would walk through the 50 feet of deep mud to get to the garage. He carried me, and I was terrified that he would drop me. But he didn't. 

At about midnight we finally made it home, caked in mud and rain. My family was up waiting and we told them the story. 

That night was the first of our many adventures together. I'm excited.  



7 comments:

  1. So cute! It brought tears to my eyes. I think that you are going to be marrying a great man:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe :) I love it!!! it brought tears to my eyes too! My little brother is such an awesome guy! Congrats I'm so exited for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Holly! I love your story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so excited for you both! we loved your description. Love ya, Your soon to be in-laws! Kolleen and Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah totally CRAZY-- a good crazy!! The ring is so pretty. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete